StopBigBrotherMD.org was recently contacted by a motorist from Pennsylvania who was ticketed not once but twice for a vehicle which did not belong to her:
"I've received 2 incorrect tickets for speeding around Baltimore. I live in PA, and there is another PA plated car with the same number as me, except where I have an M they have a W. The picture from the last ticket is during the day and fairly clear, it's just that PA's W and M are pretty narrow.
The ticket says "Sworn to or affirmed by" with a signature, but it is obviously not checked. The car in the pictures is a silver Honda, whereas I have a dark brown VW. They look nothing alike.
Calling the customer service line lead to a review and dismissal of the 1st ticket, and I'm on the same path with this one, but if the other car was the same or similar to mine would I just be found guilty? It's also a hassle just to go through this process, but nothing compared to if I have to go all the way down for a court date ever."
We've reported on cases of errors by cameras many times. Baltimore City issued a speed camera ticket ticket to a motorist who have been dead for years. The city has issued tickets to an incorrect vehicle in cases where the images were so dark the car could not even be seen, in a case where it took that ticket recipient months to get the 'offense' removed from their MVA record. There have been at least three separate instances where Baltimore erroneously issued thousands of tickets from cameras configured to the wrong speed limit from one camera in 2010 and agan from two different cameras in 2012, meaning the problem may actually be getting worse. WBAL also reported how Baltimore City's red light camera program once issued thousands of tickets "signed" by a police officer who had been deceased for months.
The SHA's cameras around Baltimore are not blameless either... one motorist wrote to the Baltimore Sun about receiving a citation for someone else's car, and needed to take off work and drive 54 miles to contest the ticket.
To officials who say "if you don't speed you won't get a ticket", we say BULL! With the faulty quality control some speed camera programs have been getting away with, you don't even need to visit Maryland to get a ticket.
- ► 2016 (21)
- ► 2015 (39)
- ► 2014 (82)
- ► 2013 (102)
- PA Resident Gets 2 Tickets Without Visiting Maryla...
- Rockville Using Right Turn Cameras
- The Long, Difficult Road to Imperfect Justice
- Opinion: Don't Buy From Xerox
- Don't Pay That Late Fee!
- Prince George's to Have Cameras Watching Cameras
- Baltimore Earns Over $19million From Speed Cameras...
- Lawsuit Accused DC Police of Stealing Phone, Destr...
- ▼ September 2012 (8)
- ► 2011 (88)
- ► 2010 (69)
- ► 2009 (58)
Our Top Stories
- Rockville Falsely Accuses School Bus of Speeding
- Montgomery County Has Secret Speed Camera Committee -- Press and Critics Not Welcome
- Montgomery Speed Camera "OmBudsman" Won't Answer Questions
- Montgomery County Issues Erroneous Tickets
- College Park Cited Stationary Bus for Speeding
- Montgomery County ATEU Defends Culture of Secrecy
- How Two-Faced Triple-A Gave Maryland Speed Cameras
- "Secret" Baltimore Speed Camera Audit Found 10% Error Rate
- Speed Camera Reform Act Just a Big Fat Lie
- Court Rules Against Morningside on Public Records Access
- Speed Camera Company Celebrates "Bounty System" Loophole
- Montgomery County Steals Lanes for Expensive Bus Program
- Wicomico County Teachers Say Camera is Not Accurate
- Montgomery Council President Rice Racked Up Tickets
- Circuit Court Rules Innocence is a Defense, Rejects "Snitch" Requirement
- Baltimore Ends Camera Contract, Moves to Hides Records
- Montgomery Scamera Boss Lies About Red Light Camera "Warning Flashes"
- Montgomery County Camera Boss Blocks Public From Secret Meeting
- Salisbury Records Show Calibration Lapses, Sorry No Refunds!!
- Speed Camera Accuracy Questioned in Morningside
- Attorny General Gansler Depicted as "Reckless Passenger"
- Morningside Deployed Cameras Despite County Denial
- Morningside Admits Maintaining No Calibration Records, Doesn't Operate Own Cameras
- ACLU Documents Mass Tracking of Motorists By License Plate Scannrs
- Brekford Demands Tribute to See Calibration Records
- Access To Brekford Calibration Records Stalled in Salisbury, Morningside
- Public and Private Lobbyists Worked to Kill Speed Camera Reform
- Montgomery County Speed Camera Transforms Toyota into Dodge
- Montgomery County Boasts Error Rate "Under Ten Percent"
- Speed Camera Company Collects Dirt on Competitors
- Woman Gets 3 Tickets from DC Without Going There
- Legislature Raises Gas Tax
- Laurel, Hagerstown Circumvent Calibration Requirement
- Speed Camera Calibration Fails To Ensure Accuracy
- Speed Camera Programs Flout Sunshine Law
- Xerox Admits 5% Error Rate For Speed Camera Tickets
- Baltimore Cites Motionless Car For Speeding
- O'Malley Says Speed Camera Bounties Are Illegal
- Baltimore Ticketed Innocent Delivery Vehicle: Documents Prove Speed Camera Error
- Rockville Sees Huge Surge in Red Light Violations
- Trucking Company Challenges Accuracy of Baltimore Citations: Videos Prove Speed Camera Errors
- Speed Camera Salesman Caught Speeding AGAIN
- Riverdale Park Defends Forgery of Police Signatures
- High Court Rules Local Governments Above the Law
- Riverdale Park Allowed Civilians to Forge Police Approvals
- Baltimore Speed Camera Issues Ticket to the Dead
- Statewide Speed Cameras Now a $77Million Per Year Industry
- PG County Court Presumes All Defendants Guilty
- Town Releases Documents Proving Errors With Optotraffic Cameras
- Man arrested for asserting innocence in speed camera hearing
- Optotraffic Representative Caught Speeding
- Driver Uses Carchip to Challenge Optotraffic Camera
- Deceased Baltimore Cop Signs 2000 Citations
- Montgomery County Denies Right To Face Camera Operator In Court
- ACS Buys Steak Dinners For Lawmakers
- Baltimore City Issues Hundreds of Tickets in Error
- Baltimore Writes Speed Camera Revenues Into Budget Before Cameras Approved
- Camera Mistakenly Accuses Driver of 100mph Rampage
- Montgomery County Scamera Contract Includes Massive PR Campaign
- Optotraffic Investigates Possible Speed Camera Errors
- Speed Camera Legislation Attracts Lobbyists
- Sykesville Voters Overturn Speed Cameras in Referendum
- Traffic Engineering Techniques Out-perform Speed Cameras
- Transportation Planning Board Unveils Plan to Track and Tax Drivers