We previously reported how an Ohio court shut down a speed camera program run by Maryland based contractor Optotraffic in the town of Elmwood Place Ohio which created an enormous public outcry. Now not only is the speed camera program out of commission, but 4 of the 6 members of the Elmwood Place council have recently resigned citing the speed camera situation as part of the reason, and leaving the town government in shambles and without even a quorum to pass legislation.
“This is one of the most stupid situations I’ve ever seen” stated one of the two remaining council members, who has stated he had considered resigning himself.
Ohio has no state regulations governing the use of speed cameras, and an Ohio judge shut down the revenue producing program calling it a 'game of three card monty' which subjected motorists who wanted to contest tickets to unfair administrative hearings with no courtroom due process. Optotraffic and the town have fought back against the ruling and are attempting to have the judge disqualified from any future speed camera cases.
Elmwood place is facing a class action lawsuit over the cameras. Among those who have successfully contested tickets from the cameras were 150 members of a local Vietnamese church, where they claim a 20% drop in attendance after their members started getting speeding tickets, some for traveling as slowly as 26mph. “In Vietnam, we lived in a country controlled by Communism. You were so afraid of secret police in that way," stated Father Chau Pham who founded the church.
Maryland based Optotraffic still lists a 'Testimonial' from Elmwood Place town officials on their website, claiming the town as as yet another satisfied customer.
Optotraffic also runs several speed camera programs in Maryland, as well as in the Ohio cities of New Miami and Lucas. Citizens in the town of Lucas have started a FaceBook Page calling for an end to the cameras there.
- ► 2016 (21)
- ► 2015 (39)
- ► 2014 (82)
- Ohio Town Implodes Over Speed Camera Debacle
- DC, Brentwood Camera Sites Under Scrutiny
- Court Rules Government Can Profit From Forgery
- Baltimore Speed Camera Committee Violated Open Mee...
- Brekford To Refund Camera Fines Over Hagerstown Ca...
- Circuit Court Dismisses Speed Camera Ticket, Xerox...
- Baltimore Woman Gets Three Camera Tickets from DC ...
- Opinion: Lawmakers Not Off The Hook On Speed Camer...
- Fairmount Heights Failed To Obtain Speed Camera Pe...
- ▼ May 2013 (9)
- ► 2012 (66)
- ► 2011 (88)
- ► 2010 (69)
- ► 2009 (58)
Our Top Stories
- Rockville Falsely Accuses School Bus of Speeding
- Montgomery County Has Secret Speed Camera Committee -- Press and Critics Not Welcome
- Montgomery Speed Camera "OmBudsman" Won't Answer Questions
- Montgomery County Issues Erroneous Tickets
- College Park Cited Stationary Bus for Speeding
- Montgomery County ATEU Defends Culture of Secrecy
- How Two-Faced Triple-A Gave Maryland Speed Cameras
- "Secret" Baltimore Speed Camera Audit Found 10% Error Rate
- Speed Camera Reform Act Just a Big Fat Lie
- Court Rules Against Morningside on Public Records Access
- Speed Camera Company Celebrates "Bounty System" Loophole
- Montgomery County Steals Lanes for Expensive Bus Program
- Wicomico County Teachers Say Camera is Not Accurate
- Montgomery Council President Rice Racked Up Tickets
- Circuit Court Rules Innocence is a Defense, Rejects "Snitch" Requirement
- Baltimore Ends Camera Contract, Moves to Hides Records
- Montgomery Scamera Boss Lies About Red Light Camera "Warning Flashes"
- Montgomery County Camera Boss Blocks Public From Secret Meeting
- Salisbury Records Show Calibration Lapses, Sorry No Refunds!!
- Speed Camera Accuracy Questioned in Morningside
- Attorny General Gansler Depicted as "Reckless Passenger"
- Morningside Deployed Cameras Despite County Denial
- Morningside Admits Maintaining No Calibration Records, Doesn't Operate Own Cameras
- ACLU Documents Mass Tracking of Motorists By License Plate Scannrs
- Brekford Demands Tribute to See Calibration Records
- Access To Brekford Calibration Records Stalled in Salisbury, Morningside
- Public and Private Lobbyists Worked to Kill Speed Camera Reform
- Montgomery County Speed Camera Transforms Toyota into Dodge
- Montgomery County Boasts Error Rate "Under Ten Percent"
- Speed Camera Company Collects Dirt on Competitors
- Woman Gets 3 Tickets from DC Without Going There
- Legislature Raises Gas Tax
- Laurel, Hagerstown Circumvent Calibration Requirement
- Speed Camera Calibration Fails To Ensure Accuracy
- Speed Camera Programs Flout Sunshine Law
- Xerox Admits 5% Error Rate For Speed Camera Tickets
- Baltimore Cites Motionless Car For Speeding
- O'Malley Says Speed Camera Bounties Are Illegal
- Baltimore Ticketed Innocent Delivery Vehicle: Documents Prove Speed Camera Error
- Rockville Sees Huge Surge in Red Light Violations
- Trucking Company Challenges Accuracy of Baltimore Citations: Videos Prove Speed Camera Errors
- Speed Camera Salesman Caught Speeding AGAIN
- Riverdale Park Defends Forgery of Police Signatures
- High Court Rules Local Governments Above the Law
- Riverdale Park Allowed Civilians to Forge Police Approvals
- Baltimore Speed Camera Issues Ticket to the Dead
- Statewide Speed Cameras Now a $77Million Per Year Industry
- PG County Court Presumes All Defendants Guilty
- Town Releases Documents Proving Errors With Optotraffic Cameras
- Man arrested for asserting innocence in speed camera hearing
- Optotraffic Representative Caught Speeding
- Driver Uses Carchip to Challenge Optotraffic Camera
- Deceased Baltimore Cop Signs 2000 Citations
- Montgomery County Denies Right To Face Camera Operator In Court
- ACS Buys Steak Dinners For Lawmakers
- Baltimore City Issues Hundreds of Tickets in Error
- Baltimore Writes Speed Camera Revenues Into Budget Before Cameras Approved
- Camera Mistakenly Accuses Driver of 100mph Rampage
- Montgomery County Scamera Contract Includes Massive PR Campaign
- Optotraffic Investigates Possible Speed Camera Errors
- Speed Camera Legislation Attracts Lobbyists
- Sykesville Voters Overturn Speed Cameras in Referendum
- Traffic Engineering Techniques Out-perform Speed Cameras
- Transportation Planning Board Unveils Plan to Track and Tax Drivers