More than ten speed camera citations from Salisbury were dismissed in district court, according to reports from motorists.
The hearing occurred on December 19th in Wicomico County District Court, Courtroom 2. According to reports from two motorists all citations from Salisbury that day were dismissed. One motorist provided the following account:
"The judge began by addressing those of us who had traffic cam citations that the Statute only allowed two defenses for a ticket, one being that your car was stolen at the time, and the other that you had loaned it to a friend, and you give the name of the friend. Then as we were called up one by one, he told us that the State has decided not to prosecute and the judged Nolle Pros, sit down on the bench and wait for your paperwork and we will get you out of here as quick as we can. I’m guessing 10+ of us, 5 minutes, we were walking out."
The defendants stated that no operator or representative from Brekford was present. Neither the judge nor the city's representative gave a reason for the dismissals, according to the defendants' accounts.
In some cases a jurisdiction will "Nolle Pros" (decline to prosecute) a case when some witness or piece or required evidence is unavailable.
Last year the Maryland Drivers Alliance worked for months to obtain calibration records from the city of Salisbury through public records requests. When documents were eventually released, our examination revealed discrepancies and gaps in calibration periods. No large scale refund has been announce by the city.
Several motorists have written to us disputing the accuracy of the speed readings on their citations. In a few cases the claims of inaccurate speeds appeared to be supported by calculations based on our examination the images, though this does not appear to have been the reason these citations were dismissed since no such evidence was presented.
- ► 2016 (21)
- ► 2015 (39)
- Speed Camera Repeal Bill Introduced in the House
- Delegates Say 'No Way' To Vehicle-Mile-Traveled Ta...
- Speed Camera Complaints Arise in Baltimore City, M...
- RedSpeed Tickets Tossed in Annapolis Over Time-Dis...
- Baltimore Denies Access To City Speed Camera Audit...
- Speed Cameras Not the Norm in Most of the US
- Wicomico County Teachers Question Redspeed Camera ...
- We get mail -- but we can always use more
- Montgomery County Bill Would Narrow Lanes, Lower S...
- Baltimore Sun: Brekford OK'd Speed Camera Ticket f...
- Lawmaker Proposes Expanding Camera Enforcement Hou...
- Salisbury Court Dismisses Citations
- ▼ January 2014 (12)
- ► 2013 (102)
- ► 2012 (66)
- ► 2011 (88)
- ► 2010 (69)
- ► 2009 (58)
Our Top Stories
- Rockville Falsely Accuses School Bus of Speeding
- Montgomery County Has Secret Speed Camera Committee -- Press and Critics Not Welcome
- Montgomery Speed Camera "OmBudsman" Won't Answer Questions
- Montgomery County Issues Erroneous Tickets
- College Park Cited Stationary Bus for Speeding
- Montgomery County ATEU Defends Culture of Secrecy
- How Two-Faced Triple-A Gave Maryland Speed Cameras
- "Secret" Baltimore Speed Camera Audit Found 10% Error Rate
- Speed Camera Reform Act Just a Big Fat Lie
- Court Rules Against Morningside on Public Records Access
- Speed Camera Company Celebrates "Bounty System" Loophole
- Montgomery County Steals Lanes for Expensive Bus Program
- Wicomico County Teachers Say Camera is Not Accurate
- Montgomery Council President Rice Racked Up Tickets
- Circuit Court Rules Innocence is a Defense, Rejects "Snitch" Requirement
- Baltimore Ends Camera Contract, Moves to Hides Records
- Montgomery Scamera Boss Lies About Red Light Camera "Warning Flashes"
- Montgomery County Camera Boss Blocks Public From Secret Meeting
- Salisbury Records Show Calibration Lapses, Sorry No Refunds!!
- Speed Camera Accuracy Questioned in Morningside
- Attorny General Gansler Depicted as "Reckless Passenger"
- Morningside Deployed Cameras Despite County Denial
- Morningside Admits Maintaining No Calibration Records, Doesn't Operate Own Cameras
- ACLU Documents Mass Tracking of Motorists By License Plate Scannrs
- Brekford Demands Tribute to See Calibration Records
- Access To Brekford Calibration Records Stalled in Salisbury, Morningside
- Public and Private Lobbyists Worked to Kill Speed Camera Reform
- Montgomery County Speed Camera Transforms Toyota into Dodge
- Montgomery County Boasts Error Rate "Under Ten Percent"
- Speed Camera Company Collects Dirt on Competitors
- Woman Gets 3 Tickets from DC Without Going There
- Legislature Raises Gas Tax
- Laurel, Hagerstown Circumvent Calibration Requirement
- Speed Camera Calibration Fails To Ensure Accuracy
- Speed Camera Programs Flout Sunshine Law
- Xerox Admits 5% Error Rate For Speed Camera Tickets
- Baltimore Cites Motionless Car For Speeding
- O'Malley Says Speed Camera Bounties Are Illegal
- Baltimore Ticketed Innocent Delivery Vehicle: Documents Prove Speed Camera Error
- Rockville Sees Huge Surge in Red Light Violations
- Trucking Company Challenges Accuracy of Baltimore Citations: Videos Prove Speed Camera Errors
- Speed Camera Salesman Caught Speeding AGAIN
- Riverdale Park Defends Forgery of Police Signatures
- High Court Rules Local Governments Above the Law
- Riverdale Park Allowed Civilians to Forge Police Approvals
- Baltimore Speed Camera Issues Ticket to the Dead
- Statewide Speed Cameras Now a $77Million Per Year Industry
- PG County Court Presumes All Defendants Guilty
- Town Releases Documents Proving Errors With Optotraffic Cameras
- Man arrested for asserting innocence in speed camera hearing
- Optotraffic Representative Caught Speeding
- Driver Uses Carchip to Challenge Optotraffic Camera
- Deceased Baltimore Cop Signs 2000 Citations
- Montgomery County Denies Right To Face Camera Operator In Court
- ACS Buys Steak Dinners For Lawmakers
- Baltimore City Issues Hundreds of Tickets in Error
- Baltimore Writes Speed Camera Revenues Into Budget Before Cameras Approved
- Camera Mistakenly Accuses Driver of 100mph Rampage
- Montgomery County Scamera Contract Includes Massive PR Campaign
- Optotraffic Investigates Possible Speed Camera Errors
- Speed Camera Legislation Attracts Lobbyists
- Sykesville Voters Overturn Speed Cameras in Referendum
- Traffic Engineering Techniques Out-perform Speed Cameras
- Transportation Planning Board Unveils Plan to Track and Tax Drivers